Saturday, November 7, 2009

Dancing with God

I am not sure who the author of the following verse is but I really like it and I thought I would share it with those of you who are reading this blog.

When I meditate on the word Guidance,
I kept seeing "dance" at the end of the word.
I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing.

When two people try to lead, nothing feels right.
The movement doesn't flow with the music,
and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky.
When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead,
both bodies begin to flow with the music.
One gives gentle cues, perhaps a nudge to the back
or by pressing lightly in one direction or another.
It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully.
The dance takes surrender, willingness,
and attentiveness from one person
and gentle guidance and skill from the other.

My eyes drew back to the word Guidance.
When I saw "G", I thought of God, followed by "u" and "i".
"God", "u" and "i" dance.
As I lowered my head, I became willing to trust
that I would get guidance about my life.
Once again, I became willing to let God lead.
My prayer for you today is that God's blessings
and mercies are upon you this day and everyday.
May you abide in God, as God abides in you.
Dance together with God, as God abides in you.
Dance together with God, trusting God to lead
and to guide you through each season of your life.

I hope you Dance!

This verse is a great reminder to me that I need to be aware of God when He is nudging me to do something. I have been guilty of overlooking His nudges or gentle tugs He often gives me. I am so thankful that God is gracious as I have surely stepped on His toes when trying to lead instead of being led. Kelly and I are both learning to trust God to lead us in amazing ways as a result of this journey that He has asked us to take. I hope that I can learn to be led rather than always trying to lead.

Gary Phillips

No comments:

Welcome to our blog.

This blog is an attempt to chronicle the things that God is doing for us and through us both here at home and while we are in Africa. We will be updating this blog weekly while we are home, Africa will be a different story. Due to unreliable electric and Internet we are not sure how often we will be able to but we plan to update daily if we are able.

If you would like to support us financially for this trip to Africa you can send checks to us through our church. Make Checks payable to Emmanuel Baptist Church with a note for West Africa Missions Outreach. Mailing address is 1120 S. Detroit St. Xenia, Ohio 45385 Phone is 937-372-5887.