Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Latest

Tonight I had a meeting with my church missions committee to fill them in on the details of our trip, more specifically the financial details. We are looking at some significant financial needs in the next 2 to 4 weeks. We need to ship a barrel of tools and some food items over to Africa in 2 weeks (approx. $800-$1000), we need to start our vaccinations on Tuesday (approx. $1200-$1700 total) and we need to apply for our visas in about 4 weeks ($1600). These items total approx. $3600.00-$4300.00 and all of these things will need to be paid for within the next 4 weeks. These items in no way fit into our family budget and we have not received any support as of today. I am sure that God will supply the money when we need it and no sooner, this is going to be an exciting time as we wait on God and watch how he supplies for our needs. In our simple human ways we are much different than God. When God asks us to do something like going to Africa we make budgets and lay out plans as to how we think things should work out, all the while God has a plan of His own. So when things don't work out the way we planned it feels like maybe God isn't really listening to us. In reality it is us who are not paying attention to Him and His plan. I say this to explain that as a responsible Christian I have done my best to lay out a budget and make plans for this trip just so that I can sit back and watch God's plan unfold. I hope that I am able to accept his plan with humbleness and without worry and frustration, I am after all human. I believe that God has already put a burden on the hearts of those who are going to help us financially on this trip. They may not know how it is that God wants them to help or who it is that they need to help, but I believe that God will direct me to these divine appointments and when I share with them about our ministry they will know and they will be ready to help us. If you are reading this would you please pray for me that I will respond properly when God prompts me to share with someone even if the person is a complete stranger. Also pray as I have been asked to share my ministry with the Christian Business Men's association this week, that I will allow the Holy Spirit guide me when I speak to them.

Wondering how God will move next,

Gary Phillips

No comments:

Welcome to our blog.

This blog is an attempt to chronicle the things that God is doing for us and through us both here at home and while we are in Africa. We will be updating this blog weekly while we are home, Africa will be a different story. Due to unreliable electric and Internet we are not sure how often we will be able to but we plan to update daily if we are able.

If you would like to support us financially for this trip to Africa you can send checks to us through our church. Make Checks payable to Emmanuel Baptist Church with a note for West Africa Missions Outreach. Mailing address is 1120 S. Detroit St. Xenia, Ohio 45385 Phone is 937-372-5887.