Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lot of Stuff to Share Tonight!

I have a lot of pictures in today's post so enjoy, I thought I would start with this photo of a girl from the village of Kodzobi. On Wednesday we went to the village to play games with the kids. I was taking photos of them and they would get excited and laugh when I showed them on my camera. I was soon mugged with kids wanting to see there picture on the camera. I had Martin who we took along to translate help me control them long enough to get a single portrait of each child. I really liked this one.


In this next image you can see Morgan chasing a little girl in a game similar to duck duck goose.

This photo was taken on Thursday, we went to Dzakpo again to visit and Taylor took a picture of these kids and is showing them themselves on her camera.

There is a lady in Dzakpo who has a pet monkey, Morgan can now mark Holding a real monkey of her Bucket List.

She was very excited that she got to hold a live monkey!

On the way home we stopped off at Anthony's farm and Anthony showed us around his farm again, some of us had not been here yet. Morgan found a baby chick and is holding it before we release it to it's mother.

On Friday I went to Helekpe to help with the electrical wiring of a 2 bedroom addition to the Mathews home (another missionary family). Jerry is the one squatting he will be working with me on the electrical projects here. He is an electrician here and will help me to understand some of the differences in the electric here. I will also be able to teach him some things as well.

This is the view from the Mathews home in Helekpe, there home is at the foot of Mt. Adaklu. As soon as the girls are all adjusted to the climate here we are going to climb this mountain. I am told the views are amazing. Taylor and I are ready to go but Kelly and the little ones are still trying to adjust. The 100+ degree days are hard to get used to, at least for them it is. I was adjusted the first day and Taylor only needed 1 day to adjust. It is hot and we are getting tanned, well some of are tanning (Morgan and I) the rest are burning.

Man it is hot here, we sweat 24 hours a day and we get dirty from the dust. I think the hardest thing to get used to is the dirty feeling, everyone says that in about a month we will be used to it.
Here is a picture of Sarah Mathews and Edem Zimmerman she is carrying him the way the Ghanaian women carry their young. They do have help from a piece of cloth so that their hands are free.

Another view of Mt. Adaklu from the Mathews yard. I can't wait to get to the top!

This next image is a good example of Harmattan. Harmattan happens this time of year every year. It is dust from the Sahara Desert that blows across Ghana and Togo for several months in a row. Some days are heavier than others. This view from the top of Ho Mountain shows Harmattan very good. The buildings you see in the image are predominately Ho but if you know where to look you can see some of the villages also. I don't know where to tell you the villages are, sorry. Our house is in here somewhere also. I almost forgot the mountain in the background is Mt. Adaklu!

This is one of the vegetable sellers in the Market, we visit her every time we go to Market and buy something. In case you didn't notice she is not in the photo, I needed to clarify this for Marnie!

This is the place we buy our frozen chicken, if you look close at the piece she is cutting you can see pieces of chicken flying.

Here is a view of the road to the frozen food place.

The Butler's received three packages of gifts from their church today, it was full of Christmas gifts. They had a lot of fun opening them.

Today we had a Valentines Day party for all of the Missionary kids. Marnie's mom sent a bunch of craft things so the kids had crafts and cookies and other goodies. They all had a really good time. Even Chad had fun making valentines!

Another shot of the party, Taylor is showing Kelly something, not sure what.

Another Party shot.

One more party shot, trying to show the kids a lot for grandparents.



Hope you have enjoyed the show, please leave some comments for me to read, I enjoy them.

Gary Phillips

5 comments:

Craft lady said...

Gary, we are following your blog and praying for you guys! I am so glad we get to see you on a regular basis. How cool for the girls (and you guys) to get to experience all that!

We miss you guys.

Tell Kelly and the girls we said HI.

Craig & Kelly

Cheryl P OH said...

The kids (and adults) loved seeing the pictures before they went to church this morning! Paige can't believe that Morgan got to hold a monkey! Praying for adjustments to heat will continue. I can't imagine dealing with the dirt/ dust like that. What a wonderful sample of all that you guys are enjoying and doing. May the Lord continue to allow you moments of joy while you do his work.

Unknown said...

I think it would take awhile for me to get used to the climate and "gritty" feeling too. Still - I hope you all make it up the mountain. What an awesome experience!


Looks like you're all having an amazing time there! Say "hi" to the girls for me.... we miss seeing them at church!

Matt Yanney said...

What a great set of pictures! The kids look so precious. I can't imagine dealing with that sand from the Sahara blowing in like that. And the heat...a bit different here, we're dealing with another snow storm today, temperatures in the 20's, expecting 6 to 8 inches today.
Matt

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like a lot is going on and the family really is fitting in! Thanks for sharing all the great photos and we will keep on praying for you all.
Blessings from the Young Family!

Welcome to our blog.

This blog is an attempt to chronicle the things that God is doing for us and through us both here at home and while we are in Africa. We will be updating this blog weekly while we are home, Africa will be a different story. Due to unreliable electric and Internet we are not sure how often we will be able to but we plan to update daily if we are able.

If you would like to support us financially for this trip to Africa you can send checks to us through our church. Make Checks payable to Emmanuel Baptist Church with a note for West Africa Missions Outreach. Mailing address is 1120 S. Detroit St. Xenia, Ohio 45385 Phone is 937-372-5887.