Friday, February 26, 2010

Mt. Adaklu

I am sorry for the delay in putting up a post. Last Friday evening our Internet went down and it came back up today at about 5:00 p.m. it was literally out for one week. We were all going through withdraw, I finally broke down and took the family into an Internet cafe and gave each of the girls 30 minutes of Internet. It wasn't long enough but that was all I was willing to pay for. Thank goodness it came back up, I hope they have it fixed for a while now.



So Taylor and I take a walk sometimes in the evenings, one night last week just before a big rainstorm hit us we went for a walk and was given this gift of a beautiful sunset from God.

While on another walk we came across this duck who was guarding the entrance to this persons home. I am not sure if the ducks around here are related to turkeys of if they just have really bad acne but this guy is ugly.
Well, I don't really like this picture but I did say that I would post it. I needed a tripod and did not have room for one in my carry on luggage so it got left at home. So in order to get a half way decent shot I had to crank up the ISO on the camera and that never looks good. For those of you who are photogs I was shooting at ISO 6400 can anyone hear the noise! Oh yeah this is the image of Ho Mountain that I mentioned earlier, I said it looked like a volcano had erupted.
This is Saturday a week ago, we lost Internet the night before and just got it back today. We are on our way to the top of Mt. Adaklu. I was instructed to go to Google Earth and see what the elevation is to the top but since we didn't have Internet until today I haven't had a chance to look. So I can't tell you exactly how high we climbed but it took us a few hours to get there. The image below is the trail to the foot of the mountain.
This is Morgan at our first real resting place we had taken a few breaks before getting to this point but by the time we reached this place we were all very much ready for a good break. I am sitting in a cave looking out at Morgan as she stands looking at the valley below.
Here are some of the girls that climbed with us as we are getting to some of the steeper areas.
Kelly and Lyndsey didn't try the climb so here are the rest of us at the top of Mt. Adaklu. We had such a nice breeze that we were ready to lay down and take a nap. Once again if you look at the background of this image the haze that you see is from the Harmattan. We are planning another trip to the top in June or July once the Harmattan is past to see what it looks like on a clear day. If you look closely at my shirt, near the waistline you will notice it is a different shade than the upper part. The darker shade is wet from sweat, did I mention that it is very hot here?
Taylor sitting on the edge taking video with her point and shoot camera, I will try to post a video at the end of this blog post.
The girls are falling off the mountain help!! Well I got the worst of this shot, I had to lay right in the dirt to get this angle. After sweating as much as we were I was a muddy mess, the girls didn't care though.
Back at the bottom and my legs are ready to fall off. We all made it and no one got hurt. Now that I have rested a week, I can't wait to go again! If you look at the image below you can see where a large chunk of rock has fallen from the face of the mountain. We were standing on top of that part of the mountain.
I have been putting images of the children in many of my posts, tonight I wanted to show you this elderly woman. I came across her while I was walking back from the mountain and couldn't resist her charm. I had to get a picture of her, so I could introduce her to you.
I tried to put the video in but it keeps messing up so I am giving up for now. It is almost 2:00 a.m. here so I am going to bed. I will post some more photos tomorrow if the Internet is still up.
Gary Phillips

4 comments:

souriceau said...

that looks like it was quite a climb! thanks for sharing the pics even though the internet is a pain!

how is the building and electrical work going?

Unknown said...

Great pictures, Gary!! What an experience!!

Leah K said...

Great photos! Haha, and I understand your ISO issue...:-) Love the pictures though...looks like a great climb!

Janet E said...

Hey Phillips Family!

I just spent about 1/2 hour reading your blog and looking at all of the FANTASTIC photos! I am really enjoying "joining" you through it! You are having quite an adventure--I hope that everyone is doing ok with the temps and altitude! Thanks for taking the time to share your travels with us! We will continue to pray for you!! Miss you guys!

Welcome to our blog.

This blog is an attempt to chronicle the things that God is doing for us and through us both here at home and while we are in Africa. We will be updating this blog weekly while we are home, Africa will be a different story. Due to unreliable electric and Internet we are not sure how often we will be able to but we plan to update daily if we are able.

If you would like to support us financially for this trip to Africa you can send checks to us through our church. Make Checks payable to Emmanuel Baptist Church with a note for West Africa Missions Outreach. Mailing address is 1120 S. Detroit St. Xenia, Ohio 45385 Phone is 937-372-5887.