Thursday, March 4, 2010

Little Kimmie Had a Birthday!

I think I mentioned in another post that I have been helping a bit with the addition to a missionary home. Well it is under roof now and I was out helping the electrician with the project again. I wasn't much help as I didn't have my tools yet and he only had one set of tools (hammer, chisel, hacksaw, and hacksaw blade) so I pretty much just watched and learned how they do things here. I did get to dig a bit of a trench for laying some pipe and I got to hold some things but I enjoyed just being with the guys on the site.


This is a hole that they dug for a water retention pit it was dug totally by hand, everything is pretty much done by hand here. I have not seen many power tools since I got here, now that I think about it I am not sure I have seen any power tools.


While walking thorugh the village of Helekpe I came across this mom and her young ones. I found out the next day that the little guy behind mom was hit by a TroTro and killed. A TroTro is a very small bus that you can take to get from village to village. It is quite cheap but quite an adventure, I have not had the opportunity to ride one yet but I intend to some day.

This little lady was quite a treat, I came across her in the market one day and was drawn to her. I am not sure what it was about her but something made me stop and ask if I could photograph her. She said sure and posed for me, when I showed her the photo on my camera she laughed and wanted another. I took a second and showed her and she laughed and yelled something to those around her and they all laughed. I thanked her and started to walk away when she called me back. When I turned around she said she wanted me to pay her and held out her hand. I had been warned that some might think you should pay them for taking their picture. She was laughing when she asked for money and didn't demand a price so I reached in and pulled out the first coin that I found and handed it to her. I had given her 20 pesuas about 15 cents. She held it up and laughed and said something to those around and they all laughed and I walked away as they were laughing. I am not sure what they thought about my payment but I was pleased that I had entertained them well.

The title of the blog is what these next few pictures are from, Kimmie's birthday party. Kimmie turned 4 years old last Saturday and since it is hard to buy birthday gifts here the missionary families try to make birthdays special in other ways. Usually by going swimming, as we did this particular day. It was a good day for it as it was one of the hottest days since we have been here. Many of us got a good sun burn but it was well worth it.

Lyndsey was probably burnt the worst as usual but she is doing fine today. Don't hate us this is not a usual day for us, most days we are just sweaty and dirty and wish we could go swimming.

Kimmie is opening her gifts, isn't she cute?

This is Emmanuel Baptist Church in Kodzobi village where we attended church this past Sunday. Can you find Morgan and Taylor?

During the singing these ladies got up and were clapping to the music it was very cool to hear!

I really liked this image of the old man and cane.

(For those of you from our home church of EBC) We are not really on a missions trip, we are really on a top secret government project that Will is involved with at work. I can't really say what we are doing or we may be killed. As you can see from the photo we are really in Area 51 and I will probably be hunted down by government operatives and shot for showing this photo but I couldn't resist!

Hope you enjoyed the photos,

Gary

No comments:

Welcome to our blog.

This blog is an attempt to chronicle the things that God is doing for us and through us both here at home and while we are in Africa. We will be updating this blog weekly while we are home, Africa will be a different story. Due to unreliable electric and Internet we are not sure how often we will be able to but we plan to update daily if we are able.

If you would like to support us financially for this trip to Africa you can send checks to us through our church. Make Checks payable to Emmanuel Baptist Church with a note for West Africa Missions Outreach. Mailing address is 1120 S. Detroit St. Xenia, Ohio 45385 Phone is 937-372-5887.