Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I think I may have mentioned in another post that we had an opportunity to go to a ceremony in one of the villages. It was a festive atmosphere for sure, I really enjoyed the part that I was able to see. This first photo is after I first arrived, we were a bit late getting there as there were some transportation problems. Once we got them worked out the parade had already started it's way to the ceremony grounds.

As special guests of a village chief, I think we were meant to be a part of the parade. Before it was over we were. This photo shows a group of young ladies who were a part of a some kind of ministry called "World Missions Fellowship Outreach" I think. They danced beautifully and they led the parade.

I am not sure what this group of people with the blue shirts are about but they were next in the parade so I took their picture as well.

This next group is the VIP's, they are the village chief's. If you look you can pick out the chiefs, they are the ones with Crowns!

Here is a close up shot in case you couldn't find them in the other photo! The man in the center is my friend who I know as Togbe. He is the chief of Kodzobi Village and is a very good man.

During the parade there was a lot of music and dancing, this man is playing a sea shell. It really did sound good, I have never seen a person play a sea shell in real life before this day. I had to get his photo!

I think this umbrella is where the most important person in the parade is, I am just not sure who it is! I thought the village chiefs would be under the umbrella but they were not, I never found out who the umbrella was for. Sorry!

These drums were being played but at first I didn't look at them very close. When this young man walked past, I noticed his drum sticks were not what I was used to seeing back in the States.

I couldn't resist this young man, he was playing his hear out! If you know anything about trumpets, look closely at the instrument and see if you notice anything missing!

This next photo is a common sight around here. This is how the women will carry their children. I have seen them carrying a child on there back and a load of logs that must way 50 pounds on their head. It is amazing to see!

Here is another young man playing the drums, look at his hands they are almost invisible they are moving so fast!

Well that is all of the images from the festival. This next image is for all you dog lovers. We kind of took in a stray dog the other day. Marnie felt obligated to take her in as one of their dogs got her pregnant. The owner had disowned the dog, she said it was thief, that it stole socks. So they marked it, by cutting it with a machete and put it to the street. No one would feed her, so we would feed her a little now and then and she never left. Taylor now shares her birthday with these new pups who were born on her birthday. We now have 7 dogs in the house, four of which still do not have their eyes open. Anyone want a puppy?

Well I hope you enjoyed the photos, I will try to get some more up soon.

Gary Phillips

1 comment:

SRL said...

GREAT photos!!!!!!! Still miss you all.

Welcome to our blog.

This blog is an attempt to chronicle the things that God is doing for us and through us both here at home and while we are in Africa. We will be updating this blog weekly while we are home, Africa will be a different story. Due to unreliable electric and Internet we are not sure how often we will be able to but we plan to update daily if we are able.

If you would like to support us financially for this trip to Africa you can send checks to us through our church. Make Checks payable to Emmanuel Baptist Church with a note for West Africa Missions Outreach. Mailing address is 1120 S. Detroit St. Xenia, Ohio 45385 Phone is 937-372-5887.