Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Signs

Before I start talking about the pictures I am posting today, I thought I would take a minute and say hello to all those at XCHS & DCHS who are following our blog. I found out through the grapevine that some of the teachers may be sharing this blog with their students. So if you are one of those students make sure your teacher knows that we grateful they are taking some time out of their day to share our adventure with you. If you happen to be following on your own outside of school we are honored to have you along with us in spirit. I hope you are enjoying reading the blog as much as we are enjoying being here.


For today I am sharing with you some signs that we see all over Ghana, these particular signs are in the city of Ho. I walked through town this weekend and took these pictures to share with you. This first picture seems to be a play on words or it is just misspelled, I am not sure which.
In Ghana if you ask for potato chips you will get french fries. This is chop bar it is the closest thing to fast food that you can get here.







People seem to be drawn to my camera, when ever I am out shooting I am almost always invited into peoples lives. Everyone wants me to stop and talk with them and to take their picture. As I was taking the above photo a lady standing in an alley entrance called to me. She said "Yavhoo, (white person) come in here" my initial reaction was "o.k. I have no idea what is down there should I go?" She was persistent in calling me and said "come see the sisters". So somewhat reluctantly I followed her back to an area (which you can see below) where the sisters were. She wanted me to take their picture and to show me what they were doing. The lady in the foreground is cooking plantain chips. Plantain is like a banana but not as sweet, they slice them thin, fry them and salt them and voila you have plantain chips. They are very similar to American potato chips just a bit sweeter.



I'm not sure this next sign is good advertisement!

Are you seeing a reoccurring theme in these photos? Every where we look we see signs advertising businesses that have some religious theme or have the word God in them. It is obvious that the Ghanaians have heard of the One True God, but the signs do not necessarily mean that they know Him personally. They typically will use some religious words in their business in hopes of adding His blessing on their business. Even the bars have religious or Godly names, it is almost a superstition here. I saw one bar in particular that I want to get a photo of when I do I will post it for you to see.

This is a man and his family that I met when I got to ride in a TroTro yesterday. As I said whenever I have my camera people are attracted to it. This man was so excited to see my camera he asked me to take his picture, so I did of course. When I showed him the picture on the back of the camera I got the same reaction that I always get, laughter! He later asked me if I could give him a copy to which I had to say "No, I have no way to make the pictures." He replied, "Then you keep it and when you look at it you will remember me." To which I replied, "Thank you I will remember you when I see this picture!"

This is a "Wall Spider" they are harmless but ugly. I love the markings on this guy, this is almost life size, maybe just a bit larger than he really was. I guess the get a lot bigger than this one.

Well I hope you have enjoyed the post and the pictures. I will try to get another one up soon. I have tried to upload videos but have not been successful, hopefully I will be able to get some up soon.

Photoman

No comments:

Welcome to our blog.

This blog is an attempt to chronicle the things that God is doing for us and through us both here at home and while we are in Africa. We will be updating this blog weekly while we are home, Africa will be a different story. Due to unreliable electric and Internet we are not sure how often we will be able to but we plan to update daily if we are able.

If you would like to support us financially for this trip to Africa you can send checks to us through our church. Make Checks payable to Emmanuel Baptist Church with a note for West Africa Missions Outreach. Mailing address is 1120 S. Detroit St. Xenia, Ohio 45385 Phone is 937-372-5887.